Not just brand loyalty, CX is a key factor when making purchase decisions, customer retention, and even word-of-mouth advertising.
Considering this importance, we have brought a list of 75 customer experience statistics to you. These will help you efficiently create an excellent experience for your customers.
With these customer experience statistics, facts, and trends, your company can develop some of the most successful ways to keep customers happy with your services.
General customer experience statistics
Consumers who are satisfied spread the word and bring in new unsatisfied customers can cause damage to the brand’s image. With CX in mind, here are some general customer experience statistics –
- 89% of businesses compete primarily on the basis of customer experience (CX).
- 73% of consumers say that CX is a deciding factor when making purchase decisions.
- 42% of customers would not mind paying more when offered a warm and friendly customer experience.
- Companies with a greater focus on customer satisfaction have 1.5x higher employee satisfaction, 1.6x higher brand awareness, and 1.9x higher order value.
- When served with a positive customer experience, 72% of consumers tend to share it with at least six.
- An organization can increase its revenue by 10-15% by improving its CX.
- 74% of customers are likely to buy a product based just on a favorable CX.
- Current customer interactions are 85% AI-powered.
- Employee engagement rises by 20% on average in companies that take steps to improve their customer experience.
- Providing a high-quality customer experience can save up to 33% of customer service costs.
What do customers have to say about customer experience?
Looking at the statistics shared above, a positive customer experience plays an important role in defining a company’s success, but how do customers perceive it? The truth is “even customers have recognized the importance of a positive CX.”
Here are a few statistics that help understand what customers think –
- 96% of customers feel that customer service is crucial for brand loyalty.
- 89% of customers express they would switch brands after an unpleasant experience, and CX handles over 60% of brand loyalty.
- 77% of the customers who experience positive CX are likely to recommend the brand to a friend.
- 66% of consumers want brands to understand and address their needs.
- 32% of customers express they would stop purchasing from a brand they like after a bad customer experience.
- 50% of the consumers in the U.S. say that the COVID-19 pandemic has increased the importance of customer service as a consideration for choosing a brand.
- 80% of customers feel more emotionally attached to the brand whose customer service addresses their concern.
- Consumers who are loyal to a brand spend 67% as compared to new customers.
Like what you are reading?
Sign up for our newsletter
What does the number game tell you about customer experience?
Customer Experience (CX) tells a lot about businesses as well as consumers. Here are some numbers defining its significance –
- Despite the growing demand, overall customer satisfaction was up by only 2% across most channels by 2020.
- 48% of small businesses across the globe have improved their customer service and have seen a positive impact on their business.
- According to 71% of consumers, customer service at large organizations has stayed the same or gotten worse in the past few years.
- 38% of respondents of a recent survey on CX, enhancing service levels is the top aim for contact centers in 2022.
- In 2021, the number of complaints from customers about cancellation hammered up 250%.
How are B2B companies driving customer experience?
B2B companies have also started focussing more on customer experience (CX) owing to the increase in demand. Here are a few customer experience statistics from B2Bs –
- Investing in enhancing customer experience pays off. Several organizations have substantially increased their customer satisfaction levels by enhancing operational performance.
- Enhancements in CX can reduce customer attrition by 10 to 15%, raise offer win rates by 20 to 40%, and reduce customer service costs by up to 50%.
- 80% of B2B buyers expect a purchase experience similar to that of B2C customers.
- B2B businesses that customize their e-commerce experiences outsell their competition by 30%.
- B2B organizations that offer e-commerce personalization record 30% more sales as compared to their competitors who don’t provide such an experience.
If improving customer service is the ultimate goal, then staying active and reaching out to customers on social media is a strategy to be adopted. Here are a few statistics that help understand the role of social media in CX evolution –
- Customers engaging with brands on social media platforms spend 20 to 40% more.
- 80% of tweets about a brand’s customer service are critical or negative.
- Only 17% of customers believe digital companies care about their opinions.
How are businesses retaining customers using customer experience?
- The customer experience (CX) is an important practice that helps businesses keep their customers and turn them into loyal ones. Here are two facts that suggest the same –
- 49% of shoppers make impulse purchases after a personalized experience.
- 67% of respondents of a recent survey stated that customers with a positive customer experience are more likely to stay longer and spend more money.
How does Gen Z see customer experience?
Gen Zers and Millennials are among the majority of people shopping online via various channels. Therefore, it is of utmost importance for brands to design their CX based on the demands and expectations of these target sections. Here are a few statistics to gain better insights about them –
- About 40% of shoppers prefer self-service to human contact.
- About 79% of buyers would just abandon their carts if the customer service did not respond in time.
- According to 44% of online customers, the ideal time for customer support response has to be less than 5 minutes.
- About 46% of Gen Z shoppers accept higher costs for an item if their favorite online store is selling it.
- Poor product images and higher website loading times are unacceptable to over 55% of online customers aged 18-24. These elements irritate them far more than other client segments.
- 15% of Gen Z buyers only shop online using their cellphones. In 2022, concentrating on your mobile user experience is essential.
- 45% of Gen Zers and about 39% of Millennials look and compare prices on multiple shopping sites before making a purchase.
- 29% of Gen Zers believe that buying groceries online is ideal because of free and fast shipping, and discounts.
- 43% of new-age customers get in touch with customer service via mobile devices.
- 61% of shoppers would not return to a mobile site/app they had trouble accessing.
- 40% of Millennials drift to competitors’ sites in case they experience trouble accessing a certain site.
- 27. 79% of new-age customers are more inclined to purchase from brands having mobile customer service options.
- 62% of Gen Zers shop for products online via mobile sites or applications.
How positive customer experience enhances the sales of an organization?
Positive customer service is of extreme importance for the success of a business. Here are some facts to convince you –
- Almost 92% of customers trust positive reviews from their family and friends more than advertising.
- A complex checkout process would prompt 83% of female and 77% of male shoppers to abandon a website.
- 88% of customers trust online reviews, just as they trust reviews from people they know.
- 77% of buyers who have experienced positive customer service are likely to suggest the brand to a friend.
- 13% of consumers who have had a negative CX would share it with about 15 people.
- There is a significant increase of 80% in revenue for organizations focussing on CX.
- Only 60% of marketers show any concern that their organization is at a disadvantage because of the lack of CX.
- Organizations prioritizing CX achieve 4-8% higher than their competitors.
- Organizations emphasizing customer experience enjoy 1.5 times as many engaged employees.
- Companies in the US face losses of about $75 billion because of poor CX.
- About 17% of US customers expressed they would not continue business with a brand (that they really like) after one unpleasant experience.
- 59% of US shoppers would move away from a brand following several unpleasant experiences.
How can customer experience result in more loyal customers?
Customers like to stick to a brand that takes care of their needs, addresses their concerns, and ensures their satisfaction. Therefore, it can be said that a positive customer experience translates to customer loyalty. Here are some facts to iterate the same –
- 96% of customers believe that customer experience is an important aspect of brand loyalty.
- Almost 90% of American shoppers talk about their customer service experience with others.
- American shoppers share their positive CX experiences with others and refer the company/brand to almost 11 people.
- 97% of customer experience managers say CXM is a business strategy that helps create loyal customer relationships.
- 89% of CX managers express that customer experience management (CXM) helps improve customer satisfaction.
How can technology enhance customer experience?
Using the right technologies can help support stumbling blocks. Applying modern practices such as expanding omnichannel assistance, using the right ways to communicate with customers, and providing engaging technologies such as augmented reality (AR) can develop new interactions with customers, enhance customer satisfaction, reduce faulty situations, and save money for both consumers and businesses. Here are a few statistics about technology and CX-
- 94% of shoppers are of the opinion that customer service has to become more technologically advanced.
- 61% of businesses are boosting their support spending, especially in omnichannel.
- 95% of enterprise technology executives believe AR solutions will help their companies better meet the increasing customer demands.
Along with the use of advanced technology, offering digital CX boosts customer loyalty lifetime value:
- 30% of businesses that provide digital experiences perceive an increase in consumer lifetime value.
- In 2018, 54% of consumers utilized email to contact a company, making it the most popular customer care channel.
- According to 71% of businesses, the cloud has changed the consumer experience.
- Since 2012, the number of customers using live chat, email assistance, and phones has climbed by over 50%.
What does the future look like for customer experience in 2022 and beyond?
Customer experience is on its way to becoming the nucleus of business activities. Based on the statistics discussed so far, the future of CX is pretty much clear, and here are some more statistics that show how important it is –
- 80% of the future revenue is going to be generated by just 20% of a company’s existing consumers.
- Short, violent pricing wars will result from stagnant CX quality. Up to 20% of businesses will give up trying to differentiate based on customer experience.
- By 2025, Artificial Intelligence (AI) is expected to drive 95% of CX.
- According to 47.5% of online shoppers from the US, the biggest challenge with chatbots and live chat is they offer a lot of unhelpful responses.
- It is estimated that 40% of data analytics projects will foretell the ‘ins and outs’ about CX in the future.
- Customer experience is expected to go up by $641 billion by 2022.
There is no doubt that providing customers with a pleasant customer experience is an important component of a successful business. 73% of consumers express that customer experience serves as a deciding factor when making purchasing decisions.
Besides this, CX is a highly competitive field, and upon having a bad customer experience, nearly 89% of customers will switch to a competitor. The majority of customers also believe that pleasant customers are key for brand loyalty.
Customers may spend up to 16 percent more on specific products because of this attention, which can cause revenue gains of 10-15 percent.21
Based on the facts and stats that we have discussed in this article, it can be concluded that CX is, on the whole, a decisive factor for an organization.
Rohan has over 11 years of experience in client services, marketing and hospitality field. Previously, he was head of digital marketing for a hi-tech mobile application. Rohan is driven by new challenges and the possibility of making an impact on individuals and businesses.
Published February 16, 2022, Updated March 31, 2023