Goes without saying, overcoming a new job’s learning curve could put a lot of pressure on you. Let alone, leave the desire to imprint an indelible impression on your employers. Hail the Lord, there is a way how you can seamlessly adapt to your new milieu. That in technical terms is referred to as a 30 60 90 day plan.
Following which, would enable you to soak in as much as information as possible – enough to set up the lasting impression which you wish to imbue. Having said that, I would firstly like to take you through the definition of the 30 60 90 day plan.
Simply put, it is a plan that lays out a course of action in the first 30, 60, and 90 days tenure of a new employee. One can easily transit into a smooth organization by setting up concrete visions and focused goals at each stage of the plan.
If you are starting a new job, you must quickly draft this plan for CSMs. A new job can make you feel quite alien and perhaps having this plan can make you feel more like home.
Here is a step-by-step version of how you can go about the tenure of 30 days, 60 days, and finally 90 days.
This action plan is specially designed to help new CSMs focus on the 3 P’s that is people, product, and process. It will help you prioritize the emphasis areas in the first 30, 60 and 90 days, so to say. Let’s dive into that now:
- The first 30 days are very crucial in any given business, especially for you as a customer success manager. Here, your priority begins to absorb as much information as you can. Once you do that, go through the company’s impending strategies, missions, and visions.
- Next move to explore the customer’s persona and strive to know more about the target audience that you will be catering to. Truly understand who are your customers, what are their points of concern, and in what ways can your service or product can help them.
- Learn how to use the SEO insights report. That will keep you ahead and it will help you immensely to structure and plan your blog posts. Also, make it a point to write at least 3 blog posts per week. That should be a performance goal for you. If you are able to pen down more than that, even better.
- Additionally, review the team’s pillar-cluster model overview. This will engender a better understanding of how to match your posts to that of clients. Aside from this, remember these are your first 30 days. Be as gentle and friendly as you can be with your team. Every now and then, go for a quick chit-chat, have a cup of coffee, and gel up in a friendly, yet professional manner.
- Now wouldn’t it be nice if you could make a name for yourself on your team? Who wouldn’t like to do that? But for that, you will have to cook the strategies yourself and pick the ingredients very carefully. Let us consider the name of the recipe as ‘Building your name in team’, now what the ingredients we need for that are. One is leadership. Speak up in meetings, and never be afraid to place your opinion.
- Second could be adaptability. It matters greatly how quickly you conquer the learning curve and adapt to it. And the third can be creativity. The fresher your ideas are, the better the recipe would be. Your fresh ideas must have a perspective of its own and it should portray an invaluable insight for customers’ success.
- Over and above, learn how to optimize a new post right from scratch. You can refer to some quality research and SEO insights report to draft one. By the end of the 60 days, your strength in writing blogs should take a notch up by 5-6 per week. Additionally, you can put up regular meetings with your colleagues and learn about their marketing initiatives.
- By the end of the 90 days, you should have a fair enough idea about the whole 30 60 90 playbooks. Now you should be even more confident about your responsibilities. You should be on the cusp of contributing a breakthrough performance in your team. Take requisite feedback and innovative initiatives for your team.
- Your 30-60-90 day playbook should center on making a stern analysis of your highest and lowest points of performance so far. For starters, you might want to begin by asking the SEO team if they wish to partner with the product marketing team. Later, you can brainstorm the various content topics related to the product road map.
- On top of that, you can take help from the sales team and unearth what issues our customers are dealing with, be it in terms of payment or any other personal troubles. By the end of this plan, you might be in a position to agree to a target to develop a training strategy that clearly outlines how to manage your direct reports. This will ultimately guide them to better fit into their roles in the future.
Element of the Plan
Before you spend one minute getting the details of your 90-Day Plan down on paper, you should take a moment and look at the bigger picture.
When you begin to build your plan, you want to be sure that you include the right elements and are presenting them in a manner that is easy to digest.
Before you begin worrying about presentation be sure that you have identified the following for each stage:
- A specific focus
- Your top priorities
- The goals that support those priorities
- Specific actions that will enable you to achieve your goals
- Your measures of success
Needless to say, accepting the certain nuances of your new role in less than 90 days could be a daunting task to take up and quite challenging. But crafting a strong 30 60 90 day plan for CSMs is one of the best strategies you could bet for accelerating your development. With this, you can adapt to your new work milieu as quickly as possible.
By the end of the 90 days, you should have a firm grasp of your role. Personally, you should have built a well-connected rapport with each of your team members. On the reverse, your team members should view you as a leader, yet be comfortable enough to discuss ideas with you. The aforementioned, when followed religiously is going to bring you sure shot success.
Rohan has over 11 years of experience in client services, marketing and hospitality field. Previously, he was head of digital marketing for a hi-tech mobile application. Rohan is driven by new challenges and the possibility of making an impact on individuals and businesses.
Published June 10, 2020, Updated December 13, 2021